Sunday 18 June 2006

What Should I Do If You Are Real?




Five in the morning, with Red Hot Chili Peppers blasting away in my headset while I start typing my fingers away here. I had finish two movies today and a documentary about Dogtown. With a fresh cup of milo and the wee morning breeze, I'm good to roll out another two three hundred words.

I like it this way.

The part about me just sitting there all day long writing, staring at the screen, staring for an answer.

That's all I do when I was sixteen. Movies after one another. Fingertips raining on the keyboard until they gone all yellow and craggy.

Oh no, I didn't blog back then in 1999.

I think I used to have a diary then. But then it was full of sexual innuendos and whiny horseshit.

I'm sixteen, fresh baked from O' levels, waiting for results, and no doubt waiting to lose my virginity.

I had shitload of free time on my hands. I worked in a packaging factory, I hang out in malls. My hair was bad, my scoliosis have gotten worse, I was that dork with the bigass glasses and that shit-eating grin on my face.

I was so in love in Jodie Foster ever since watching 'Nell'. I hunted down all her movies, read all her interviews, bought her biographies and joined her online fan club.

Bloody geek.

And that's where I got to know Amber Lynn March.

She was from Florida, sun setting beach with surfer waves crashing to the shores. Amber liked Jodie Foster equally and we knew each other through Yahoo fan club.

It was after a month of intense corresponding, we decided to have a relationship. Yeah, an online romance.

No shit.

Stupid but amazing.

Everyday we corresponded rabidly through Emails. She was heavily into marine biology, mingled all day long with orcas, dolphins and turtles. She liked ballads and emotionally invested in romantic comedies. She would laughed and cried along.

Most of the time we updated each other about our day and fantasized about meeting one another eventually. We planned the time-line, the flight plans, the budget, the accommodation and our reaction on that fateful day.

We even wrote each other short stories of the fantasized scenarios on the day when we will finally meet. I would start one, then she would complete the other part and we went on, as if we were very certain we would eventually meet.

Sometimes, we wrote about her coming over to Singapore, probably touring. Other times, I would finally save enough to fly over, our teary emotions at the airport and our candle lighted cuddle in her dormitory, safe in her arms.


(I will always pause and lost in that thought whenever I took a jolt down that memory lane.)


She would scanned her palm and attached to her mail, quoting something from Disney's Tarzan:


'Remember how I said I would hold your hand? Well, whenever you want to feel me close to you, you can place your hands on mine. Tarzan and Jane did that when they fell in love, and it signified a unity between them. If I could scan in my whole self, I would! :)'







Then we gotten serious and started launching our affection off ground. We started sending postage mails from one land to another.

She would send a huge stacked of her pictures, sea animal dolls, stuff she collected (beautiful pebbles and awfully bright stickers) and many many letters written by hand.

On one card she had pasted a key on it and said,


'The key to my heart, keep it. It's yours.'






Man, that's really sweet.

I would reciprocate with mix tapes of songs, my baby photos and shitload of cards. One for each day I missed her.

Once, she sent over a dog-eared Spiderman collectible comic book published in 1983. The year that I was born.

It ended six months later when she was so upset that her roomie gotten into an accident and I tried to call her. I guess she got freaked out by the reality of such liaison. We stopped contacting since.

I don't blame her, it was doomed to fail from the start.

I guess this is how I could keep pounding on the keyboard and face that computer screen for days, ever so religiously.

Just pouring it out.

Sometimes, in the tinkle hours of the morning dusk. In front of a computer typing away, I would think of Amber Lynn March.

I hope she is doing okay.























24 comments:

  1. "What should you do...?" Get out of the house and live...seriously....

    ReplyDelete
  2. cos its a really beautiful memory.

    keep it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. an amazing post. i felt the feelings you have for her as i read through your post. "WOW" indeed. an unforgettable memory, an unforgettable love, and an unforgettable sense of feeling of closeness with each other, even though you guys were worlds apart.

    i know how it is. trust me, i know..

    just keep this in mind

    maybe it wasnt doomed to fail from the beginning.. at least you both gave it a shot and thats courage..
    at least you both loved each other even though you have never seen each other, now thats strength, loyalty, love, and compassion combined.

    i admire the things you both did.. you just gave me ideas ^_^

    thank you for sharing.. it made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that was 1999. i have long gotten over her. just that sometimes the sweetest stuff creeps back on my shoulder, massaging my head, and i couldn't help but to miss that patch.

    thanks anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow back to you for your resonance.

    yeah, i know the part about 'at least we gave it a try', but sometimes just can't help but to wonder the otherwise.

    and wat ideas did i put in your head?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. my dear friend..

    say me .. since when ur blog has become an emotional graveyard?

    haha..

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha, it's still far from heaven compare to yours.u the man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pen is mightier than the sword. Often it takes more guts and skills to write than to wield a mighty excalibur. Say, what do you do for a living?

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think for my part, it takes more guts than skill to post what i post. i'm graduate from nursing school, failed my o level english twice and possess unsalvageable grammar. the might here is not in my excalibur, but your tolerance to endure my crapping crappy crap...

    poor structure.

    abuse of over excessive thesaurus

    and incomprehensive mumbling.

    may the force be with you people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your story. I was going to ask if it's a real one but having read the replies here, I got the answer. Amber was/is a memory worth remembering, and you honored her quite well in this piece. She seemed like a real interesting person. You were both fortunate to have "met" each other.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey, it's been awhile. i heard about your dad, i hope he gets better. :)

    is this story real? I dun know. yes, it's true that there is an Amber Lynn March and we had this online thing going for a good while. but to ask me if this relationship, is it a real one? i don't know.
    it can't be a real one, i suppose? how can a romance be a romance without us actually seeing each other at all?

    ever since that time i have learnt that touch is indeed a very powerful feeling.

    without it, love is a sorrowful one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey guy.. i wish i have had such kind of romance you know. it's so sweet. at least you know, you gave her happiness for that while. i guess she's like you now, reminiscing the bittersweet times u both had. give u a A+ !! =)) but why did she disappear after her roomie's accident?? -wonders- anw duno u so lomantic one neh~ lol. =X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks.

    "is this story real? I dun know. yes, it's true that there is an Amber Lynn March and we had this online thing going for a good while. but to ask me if this relationship, is it a real one? i don't know.it can't be a real one, i suppose? how can a romance be a romance without us actually seeing each other at all?"

    If it happened, and it did, at least the experience was real, Wei...

    ReplyDelete
  14. the experience is incomplete in many many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A+ sia....

    she didn't disappear. i gotten worried after she expressed she was very upset when her roommate got into an automobile accident, i call to ask how was she. guess that's when she realised that i'm real after all. e mail is one thing, but to converse in real time must have really given her a wakeup call. and so she made a rational decision.

    lomantic here only lar, bluff people nia. real life i'm probably a jerk.

    that's the magic with this virtual world, you can photo-shop anything, from your looks to your personality.

    thing is you can never be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. y u so like that? let ppl praise a bit oso cannnot. haha. =p you're a jerk? then i'm whore!!! lol. i havent learnt how to 'photoshop' my personality leh. that's interesting. but i never think you did. please be nicer to yourself. just please! =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. you're a whore? hmm.. that's interesting. very interesting...

    ReplyDelete