Sunday 20 April 2008

Hope Is Chickenshit


The speed of light is 186,282.397 miles per second.

The speed of crestfallen is seven minutes.

Cardiopulmonary resuscitation is fucking overrated. Only 5% of all resuscitation survive, marginally. Most of the time, we were there just to bear witness to their deaths. Our muted eulogies wasted on futile efforts in cracking their chests. For once I would like to see we make a difference.

I did. For seven shitty minutes.

She came grasping into air. As I tore away my face mask and snapped away the latex gloves when her heart stabilised, I told my colleague, 'She came back.' The golden words of the marginal 5%. Statement of the year. Mine.

Seven minutes later, she crashed and die.

That's how long it takes to experience crestfallen.

Hope is chickenshit.


18 comments:

  1. thats sad!
    m sorry!
    =(
    but i guess thats true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. =( I suppose its worth the trouble, even for the hope of the 5%.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CPR isn't done because there is hope. CPR is done against no hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. one day i swear i will get my 5%.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's an honourable thing you are doing bro.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the speed of light is 186,282.4 miles per second by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. decimal places. it's not 186 million. it's 186 thousand. yes i am nitpicky. i'd like to increase my chances of time travel please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently had to take care of a fellow seafarer who was supected to have kidney stones.
    I was supposed to take his blood pressure.
    I didn't know how to .All I could think was , Hey wheres Raknax when you need him.
    Finally I think I got the hang of using a spyghmomanometer.(Dont ask me to spell it properly )
    The guy was finally diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
    Phew , I was relieved that he is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok , ok,my experience is not as dramtic as yours...
    Well IBS is all I've got.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's nice to know that somewhere in the roaring waves, someone is there that misses me. it's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i got IBS too. yes i shit alot, stays slim and my skin is glowing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought one of the symptoms for IBS is bloating... how to be slim with a bloated stomach?

    Hereby, would like to thank you for being such a dedicated SN who really cares for patients.

    ReplyDelete
  13. bloating? a little. it's a gassy disease.

    slim? how to grow fat when what u eat u shit?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anyway IBS has got a lot to do with emotional well being. Try to relax by doing some calming exercise, i.e deep breathing exercise or simply focusing on one's breathing for abt 2 or 3 min. When thoughts come, ignore, dont interact with the thoughts and bring one's focus back to the breathing. just 2 or 3 min daily. Some of my friends who have high BP told me that it helps.

    ReplyDelete