Monday 15 January 2007

Fatboy Slim - Weapon Of Choice




Liang: Have you watched the clip I recommended to you?

Me: Weapon Of Choice, No. Why?

Liang: It has Christopher Walken! Freakin Christopher Walken!

Me: Okay... With a story? Was it a good story?

Liang: No, just Christopher Walken dancing!

Me: And?

Liang: It's freaking Christopher Walken dancing, all the way!

Me: ???

And so I watched Weapon Of Choice...

Whoa, Freaking Christopher Walken dancing!!!!


Lyrics for: Weapon Of Choice

Don't be shocked by tone of my voice
Check out my new weapon, weapon of choice
Don't be shocked by tone of my voice
Check out my new weapon, weapon of choice yeah

Listen to the sound of my voice
You can check it on out, it's the weapon of choice yeah
Don't be shocked by tone of my voice (aah...)
It's the new weapon, the weapon of choice yeah

You can blow wit' this
Or you can blow wit' that
You can blow wit' this
Or you can blow wit' that
You can blow wit' this
Or you can blow wit' that
Or you can blow wit' us (X2)

Walk without rhythm, it won't attract the worm
Walk without rhythm, and it won't attract the worm
Walk without rhythm, and it won't attract the worm
If you walk without rhythm, you'll never learn

Don't be shocked by the tone of my voice
Check out my new weapon, weapon of choice
Don't be shocked by the tone of my voice
Check out my new weapon, weapon of choice

Be careful, we don't know them
Be careful, we don't know them
Be careful, we don't know them
Be careful, we don't know them

You can blow wit' this
Or you can blow wit' that
You can blow wit' this
Or you can blow wit' that
You can blow wit' this
Or you can blow wit' that
Or you can blow wit' us (X2)

Organically grown
Through the hemisphere I roam
To make love to the angels of life, yeah
And my girl
I guess you just don't understand
It's gone beyond being a man
As I drift off into the night
I'm in flight
She's a boy's scoundrel gal
But I'm gonna hold my cool
Cause the music rules, yeah
So move on baby
Check it out

Halfway between the gutter and the stars, yeah
Halfway between the gutter and the stars
Yeah

You can blow wit' this
Or you can blow wit' that
You can blow wit' this
Or you can blow wit' that
You can blow wit' this
Or you can blow wit' that
Or you can blow wit' us (X2)

7 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention acrobatics and flying... LOL

    It was one of my favourite videos back in haydays when I was into fatboy slim. But gotta let go :P Anyway, thing about old actors is that they have that old school charm and old school way of dancing that is just so special... :) Thanks for bringing back memories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, that the surprise bonus for people who actually waited for the clip to load and watched it.

    i tot this video is quite new, it's not?

    i wonder how much they paid walken to star in this video...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has got to be one of the coolest videos ever. I loved it then, and I still love it now. Here are a list of factoids:

    Weapon of Choice" is a song by Fatboy Slim, aka Norman Cook, released in 2001.

    The music video is directed by Spike Jonze who also directed a lot of REM, Beastie Boys and Weezer vids.

    At one point in the video, Walken is dancing down a corridor. At the beginning of it, there is a painting of a man with his arms crossed. This is in fact a portrait of Fatboy Slim (Norman Cook) himself.

    The "Weapon of Choice" video won six MTV awards in 2001; as one of which was for Best Choreography thus Walken became a Video Music Award winner.

    The song draws elements from Frank Herbert's science fiction novel Dune. The lyric "If you walk without rhythm, it won't attract the worm," is the same advice given by Paul Atreides to Lady Jessica. On the planet Arrakis, also called Dune, giant sandworms living underground are attracted to steady rhythms. The advice given by Paul is meant to keep anyone safe from sandworms if they have to walk on the surface of the planet.

    Another Dune reference is the so-called "Weapon of Choice" itself, which could be a reference to one of two things:

    * A subculture of witches called the Bene Gesserit possess an ability called "the Voice", which lets them give irresistible commands to others, bypassing their victims' higher brain functions. This is suggested by the lyrics: "Don't be shocked by the tone of my voice. It's the new weapon, the weapon of choice". The effect used on the singer's voice is very similar to how someone's speech sounds when they're using "the Voice" in the David Lynch film adaptation.
    * The other possible reference to the "Weapon of Choice" also comes from the David Lynch film, in which the Fremen learn to use a weapon called a Weirding Module (not mentioned in the book), which translates certain spoken sounds into focused attacks that can be fired at a target.

    And there you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i see u r a fan of wikipedia too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahoy I've been found out!

    Actually I deliberated about this. I thought I was giving the world a service by just pasting all the tidbits instead of just lazily providing a link. I should have quoted my source though, but then I have to paste the link which was what I was trying to avoid in the first place. Catch twenty two, dammit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is still a service to the world. i tot of putting it up at first but what with all the lyrics, the whole thing would come out too wordy, but thanks to you, people get to know the story behind the dancing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. i was wondering about the absence of trivia because i know you knew.. lyrics above the factoids - that's giving me something to think about..

    ReplyDelete