Sunday 21 January 2007

Did I Fall Or Was I Pushed?


Ting! Went the buzz of the microwave.

Time: Ashen grey.

I sat in the dark of the kitchen looking at the orange indicator that said Ting!

I'm not ready to go back.

Fast forward eighty three hours later.

I'm dressed in my dirty blue scrubs of human stains and diseases, crouching low beside the patient's bed holding her eightyish old hand. Her helpless family crying around me. The patient wanted to pull out her feeding tube. She wanted to die. The family cried at their helplessness. I held her hand lightly. The longest hour of my life.

Ring! Went someone's phone.

Time: Sunlight rarely.

I was in the train. The sun was smothering my eyes.

I'm not ready to go back.

Backward seven hours ago, my cubical wailed. Three beds, three women crying, sobbing and moaning for the entire day. Their wailing were haunting. Their pain vocalised. One was going crazy, one was rotting off in flesh and bits and the other was dying.

What a fuckup career.

Click, click, click went the brand new pen torch in my hand. Click and shine into the souls of others through their constricted pupils.

I only saw misery.

Twenty four hours ago, I was at the ceiling watching myself working. I was wondering why did I do this to myself.

Snap, snap, snap went the lightbulbs in my head. There were no more life in them.

Blink, blink, blink. Twenty four hours ago, I looked into the pupils in the mirror, hoping to catch a glimpse of my soul.

Time: Ashen grey.

I'm not really to go back.
























27 comments:

  1. sounds like everything is a dream, but i know u see this everyday. Its really v amazing , hospital life. ER in reality. Shen, Lao, Bing, Si.
    I only like to see Shen.. Dont like to see Bing, and Si

    ReplyDelete
  2. next time i want to open shop by the beach and sell ice cream and alcohol... two of the very things that make people happy. and i just want to hang around happy people all day long....

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey how did you do that? i'm really ignorant when it comes to tweaking the webpage. how did you get the actual youtube clip in the reply box?

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is simple. when at the youtube clip look to the right side that says 'Embed', just copy and paste over the link which looks like this '<param...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! I found it! Thanks.

    I've seen Bringing Out The Dead years ago and I liked it, but for the life of me I can't remember the scenes anymore (although I know what it's about and how it ends). I do remember I was dragged in by my film-major ex to watch it because it's Scorcese. And wasn't that his voice over the Nick Cage's radio?

    Well, you keep Jolie's remarks for another day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thats nice... ice cream uncle! yesyesyes.. wafer or bread or cone? then u sprinke some of that rainbow rainbow thing on top..n stick a spoon on it.. Perfect

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Raknax, then i'll be visiting you at your cafe, drinking and eating chocolate ice cream and listening to "all the shit you talk" which is beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. in person, i probably bored you to tears.

    that's why i will be selling alcohol too.

    intoxication the best ice breaker...

    ReplyDelete
  9. is that scorsese's voice? i didn't know that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dun worry, looking out the sea can kill my boredom... :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha, we speak as if it will really come true like that.

    who knows, one day perhaps it will. that i will then make u a vip membership..hahah, free banana boat with each martini...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post is both beautiful and haunting because it's non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sure, the vip membership. I love beach at night... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Singapore? I was quite mesmerized by the night view at Sentosa - Palawan Beach... been there once at night, the cool breeze, just look out the sea... how about you?

    ReplyDelete
  15. hmm?

    u r replying to which thread? or r u asking me where to open my cafe/ice cream parlor/bar?

    ReplyDelete
  16. hmmm... use your imagination...

    ReplyDelete
  17. hmm.. that was out of the blue.

    okay, i will just assume that you ask me where to open my fantasy mama shop. alrite?

    singapore though closer to hard might be tricky, i dun know, what with the expensive rental shit and stuff, and location can be quite limited ba. but nevertheless i would want my mama shop to be in singapore if it permits.

    i been to malaysia's islands and redang was stunningly beautiful. that would be a viable option.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's the answer. :) and I agree the location it's really quite limited in Singapore but I hope one day, you'll have the thought comes true... Jia you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. haven't seen you ard for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, now I get it. Actually, I've been logging in almost everyday (in-between work). But mostly, I don't post. Instead, I check out my contacts' posts. I'm having a bit of trouble catching up because I've got so many contacts already. For some reason, I've been getting at least one invitation every week whereas before, nada for weeks, even months. Most times, I skip the pictures and videos and read the journal entries first (particularly those that seem of more personal nature). Then I go back to the other entries, pics and vids. I'd like to check out everything but unfortunately, it's not possible :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. OR, I'm just serving one purpose to them: an addition to their list. To some of them, anyway, LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Well, time will tell ;p Some are genuinely okay and sincere, at least.

    ReplyDelete