Saturday 17 April 2010

The Imaginarium of A Singaporean Death


Johnny Depp had said that line 'Nothing is permanent, not even death' in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

This is often true.

This evening, I returned back to my Bedok house with HL, and was surprised that I am still receiving mails at that address. I was even surprised when that mail came from Great Eastern Co. They've update me about my Dependants' Protection Scheme.

Liang: 'Your CPF has insured you and everybody with this scheme. $46,000. The final payout you'll ever need. Your final expense.'

Kiat: '?'

Liang: 'Your family can only claim this 46k when you are dead. It's your CPF money, to ensure you have enough money for your funeral.'

HL: 'That much of money?'

Liang: 'Haven't you watch the 9pm show?'

Kiat: 'Yaya. Fancy that, a Taoist wake will cost over 10k while a 3 day Buddhist wake complete with chanting monks will set you back 5-6k!'

Liang: 'That's not all. What about the remains? Chinese are not allowed for burial. All have to burn. The casket, the service all need lots of money.'

Kiat: 'Remember that I told you about the story where the guy is too fat to have a normal coffin, they need to custom make for him and for that you can't cremate. The pyre is standard size. Then you have to purchase a plot for burial.'

Liang: 'That's rental. From the government! Few years down the road they will find you and dig you up.'

There.

Nothing is permanent, not even death.


5 comments:

  1. Nothing is permanent, not even death...

    That's a scary concept in itself for me.

    Although born a hindu ... I prefer extinctivism...

    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=never-say-die

    This is not the entire article...I do have it in paper format.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok...this one is better

    http://www.twine.com/item/11k2s7rt4-vt/never-say-die-why-we-can-t-imagine-death-scientific-american

    But I know...that was not your point... sorry...I'm just pushing my point across...like an ass.

    I know I'll be cremated...but only after my organs are donated...
    My grandma's cremation cost about USD 300 for everything...

    Don't know when I'll die, and what it will cost to cremate me then...but frankly...it will be something that I can do nothing about !

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really couldn't care less what they do to my body if i die - i just hope something useful - feed it to the worms or fishes or plasticine http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/body_donation.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn it. You made me think.

    I REALLY need to finish that will and testament I'm making!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i change my mind, this is how I want to go. talk about AWESOME.

    WARNING!!! GRAPHIC!! http://mbvtravel.com/burials-in-tibet-not-for-sensitive-souls/

    ReplyDelete