Thursday 21 February 2008

The Iron Lungs Of The Motherland

Got off my set of night shifts, settled in a corner on the train and swore on my balls to get some imminent sleep no matter what - even if it means to ignore senior citizens. It was good that there were plenty of seats to go around, thus equating any possible moral guilt.

I had realised that I could not take my eyes off the scenery.

I knew that for a fact that Singapore had many trees, but I didn't know it was that much! Roving rain-trees, big and mushy, thin tall shrubs, fanned out palms, creeping ferns, robust shades of yellow and red filled everywhere from estates, roadsides, car parks to shopping malls. And Pow! The train moved across the reservoir in Khatib and time halted on the silver mirror made of streaming water where serenity became the only emotion in the train. It had almost appeared that everyone on the train was quiet. The edges of the reservoir breed a miniature forestation which attempted to hide the satellite dishes like shameful pimples on a beautiful face.

The skies were patchy blue of a sombre tone, perhaps hinting a shower in the coming evening. The clouds were seemingly gone, or probably jigsawed so well together with the heavens it looked like a single fit. Trees after trees as the train moved, suffocating and lush. It was as if I'm on the tram in some botanical gardens. As if I'm on some kind of cheapskate ride that was designed to disappoint tourists and it did not suck at all. In fact if I was a foreigner, I would like Singapore. It was like being in Eden.

Trees of assorted nature distributed fairly in housing estates. Like the moons orbiting Jupiter. Sure, trees don't dance the savory grace of the planetary system, but on a moving train, they are orbiting, looping endlessly, born again and again without dying.

So Singaporeans, kindly remove your heads from your hindines of lofty ambitions where work, career, marriage, romance and society thrive to turn malignant in your already very limited lives and take comfort that we all live in a garden, for crying out loud.

 

 

23 comments:

  1. woah.
    im too small to stand near the doors to watch the scenery. and i nv sit down when I'm on the mrt.
    mrts= time where my music comes in and for me to look for a tiny corner with no funky smells, where i can stand in peace without being stepped on.

    i'm glad u enjoyed your trip home on the train nevertheless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been there as a tourist. It's very cosmopolitan indeed. It's too bad paradise is infested with snobs. One has to be careful in answering the question "Where are you from?". If I say Canada, I am human. If I say "Philippines", everything turns sour. Same with Hong Kong. Everyone thinks we're house hold help or nannies.

    (I blame the stupid president: http://www.arabnews.com/?page=4&section=0&article=85997&d=4&m=8&y=2006 but that does not excuse poor treatment.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that so? i have long heard about the lack of passion in servicing tourists for a while there, but things have been improving. yes, some singaporeans can be such snobby creatures. they are not born that way, they are simply because they can. the last paragraph of this entry is wholeheartedly targeted at them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know what i miss about singapore? those bowls of flavored ice shavings at Newton food court. can't find that anywhere else. strawberry guava. mmmmm.. and the roti at little india.. mmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, my stomach really has great memory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mention 'Singapore' to some of our politicians and they'd fly off the handle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. power lah, good article. Im always a fan of the mrt stories .. minus the ghost part.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was in singapore this Jan ...24th or 25th...It was okay.
    I have to say one thing though.Too many Indians...(I mean singaporeans of Indian descent...Fucks up our exclusivity in a foriegn country ).
    We didn't have much time, so we just did what seafarers in singapore do...we shopped in Mustafa's and Simlan Tower...(what were you thinking sicko ?)
    Didn't feel one bit alienated !
    Hey , but thats just me...I'm used to people hating me for my colour ...("YOU PAKI !" , many have shouted at me)...Brown is the New Black...its bad to be Brown these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. correction, singaporeans dont call indian people paki, we are not so politically inclined. under the government racial integration shoving, we have been reasonably tolerable of the mashing races in our nation.

    exclusively? how to get exclusive when Indians are everywhere in the world? just like chinese. there was a rude joke that if nuclear warfare wiped out the world, only three things will survive. the chinese, the indians and the roaches. cos there are just too many!

    and damn you should msg me that you are coming! i would play a very good host to you, chocolate bear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. word.

    actually i don't get it. explain?

    ReplyDelete
  11. aw c'mon, you ain't got a spitting chance in the contest. so little time, so many women. raknax who? HAHAHAHAHAHA!! (joking! joking!!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. are we talkin abt the same guy?

    ReplyDelete
  13. sorry, I bounced off from that Botang entry when i made that comment. he did say he went to the mall didn't he? who knows if he was conducting another .. ahem.. social research? HAHAHA!! (joking! joking!!)

    Botang entry:http://keshavarao2001.multiply.com/journal/item/383/Shoreleave?replies_read=5

    ReplyDelete
  14. maybe he is really a ladies guy.

    pity, i could bring him to newton for foodie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. rubbing it in eh? next time I'm over at Singapore, you don't have to wonder. I! WILL! HUNT! YOU! DOWN!! WAHAHAHAHA!! No actually.. so much food, so little time. Raknax who? HAHAHA!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ah perhaps then i can see how you look like. and buy u a round of beer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. holy cow, you're right. i think i owe you a round of tequilla.

    ReplyDelete
  18. www.urbandictionary.com for all your colloquial needs

    ReplyDelete